Image via WikipediaWelcome friends! I am glad you found my blog and I pray that my writings will guide you to finding peace in the presence of God and thankfulness in your trials so that you can live an abundantly free life in Christ.
Many people have found that heavy burdens were relieved through fasting (Isaiah 58); wisdom was obtained through fasting (Daniel 10); revival came after fasting (Isaiah 58:6); God's protection from danger was secured through fasting (1 Kings 21: 27-29); healing for a sick loved one came after fasting (Psalm 35:13); demons were cast out after fasting (Matthew 17:21).
Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen;To loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke,to set the oppressed free and break every yoke?
Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the wanderer with shelter - when you see the naked to clothe him, and not turn away from your own flesh and blood?
Then your light will break forth like the dawn and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness will go before you,
and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard.
Then you will call and the Lord will answer;
You will cry for help and He will say: Here am I. Isaiah 58:6
- Determine length of fast - start with a 24 hour fast (from sundown the first day to sundown the second). This means an early dinner the first night, but the joy of breaking the fast with dinner the second night
- Determine the type of fast - a 24 hour fast is usually a complete fast, meaning no solid food, only liquid. Refrain from liquids such as coffee, soda and alcoholic beverages.
- Spend much more time in worship, prayer and scripture reading. When fasting, do not be hurried or bound by the clock. Instead, enjoy the fellowship with God while seeking His face.
- Prepare your materials: Bible and journal. Research ahead of time on the Internet specific books and scripture references about your specific area of stronghold that you can meditate upon.
- Be prepared to search your heart for sin and ask God to help you have the right attitude of confession. Consider those you need to forgive (see How To Forgive Someone Who Has Hurt Me).
- Pray, Pray, Pray! Pray continually (1 Thessalonians 5:17). I find it helpful to journal my prayers. It helps to keep me focused and then I can also go back at a later time to see how God has answered my direct prayers.
- Break your fast with a small meal so you don't get sick from over-indulgence. You should eat your meal with the same attitude with which you fasted. Just as you abstained from food to the glory of God, now you should eat to the glory of God. So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God". (1 Corinthians 10:31).
A prayer for you to pray:You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. (Ephesians 4: 22-24)
Heavenly Father, you say in your word the type of fast you have chosen is to loose the chains of injustice and set the oppressed free. When I fast according to your word, then my healing will quickly appear. When I cry for help, you will be right there!
Lead me and guide me, Lord, to the proper time to fast. Give me the strength to deny myself in order that I may hear from you. I am so hungry for you that I must fast.
Lord, guide me always and satisfy my needs in a sun-scorched land. Strengthen my frame so that I will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail, then You will be called the repairer of all things broken (Isaiah 28:11-12)
Grace and peace be yours in abundance today~