Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Women Living Well Blog: Spring Cleaning Your Facebook Account



Facebook, You Tube and iPads, oh my! I was recently told by a salesman at Best Buy that by Christmas of this year, tablets and hand-held electronics such as the iPad, the Xoom and smartphones will rule the electronic market. The desk-top computer is loosing it's status as a necessity since we will have all the computing power with all the information of the internet at our fingertips at all times, everywhere we go!

As much as I enjoy these devices, the freedom that comes with unlimited access to the internet and social media such as Facebook and You Tube is certainly more than any one person should be tempted with.  I came across an EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT blog post by Courtney of Women Living Well Blog. I hope you will take time to read it - she hits the nail on the head!
Women Living Well Blog: Spring Cleaning Your Facebook Account: "During the year of 2010, 250 million NEW people joined Facebook bringing the total users on Facebook at the end of 2010 to 600 million! Fac..."

Of the 600 million Facebook users, 50% of them are logged on to Facebook at any given time.  The average user spends 55 minutes a day on Facebook and polls show that millions of users check their Facebook status faithfully before they get out of bed each morning.  

It is my daily discipline to get up at 6am and meet God for coffee while I read His Word and talk to Him in prayer; however, my sacred place (the kitchen table) is not far away from my computer.  Each morning, I hear the computer "calling" me to come check my stats, comments and emails, and a few times I did just that.  Before I knew it, my time set aside for God had been sabatoged.  After this happened a several times, I made a vow to God that He would be first in my life and I would not touch the computer until I spent time with Him.

Like Courtney said, technology is neutral, but when we let it control our thoughts and our minds, we are not being controlled by the Spirit.
The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace...You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you.  (Romans 8:6,9)
When our minds are not controlled by the Spirit, we cannot be at peace and so the mind that is not controlled by the spirit is a stressed-out mind.  Stress has a direct connection with our central nervous system and has been cited as the #1 cause of panic attacks, heart attacks, high blood pressure, depression many other physical problems.

My friend, freedom from depression and anxiety and other mental issues is all about the battle we fight in our mind, the battle against the patterns of thought that are not controlled by the Spirit.

The next time you log in to Facebook, You Tube and or any internet app, will you take every thought captive and make them obedient to Christ?

I will walk in my house with a blameless heart.
I will set before my eyes no vile/worthless thing.
Psalm 101:2

A prayer for you to pray to set your self free and walk in daily victory:

Dear Lord God, I know how easy it is to allow other things and other people to become more important to me than You.  I also know that this is a terrible offense in your holy eyes as You have commanded that I "shall have no other gods" before You.

I confess to You that I have not loved You with all me heart and soul and mind.  As a result, I have sinned against You, violating the first and greatest commandment.  I repent of and turn away from this idolatry and now choose to return to You, Lord Jesus, as my first love.
Please reveal to my mind now any and all idols in my life.  I want to renounce each of them and in so doing, cancel out any and all ground Satan may have gained in my life through my idolatry.  In the name of Jesus, the true God, Amen.


Grace and peace be yours in abundance today~

No comments: