Monday, April 4, 2011

To This You Have Been Called


The snow is melting, the sky is a magnificent blue and the birds are singing, but you can't relate.  What does it matter if spring is in the air when your spirit is heavy under the load you bear, when each day is a struggle just to survive.  Life has a different perspective when one is faced with the pain of living with someone with depression, facing home foreclosure or bankruptcy or caring for someone with a disabling illness.

Your heart is crying out to God, but He seems so distant, so unable to help.  But in the depth of your heart you hear,
"My child, I'm here and I hear your cries.  It's time to get up now and wipe away your tears.  I know the pain that is breaking your heart.  I know it well.  I have a special purpose for all your pain.  It may appear purposeless, but I am just setting the plow deep into your heart.  Soon the very fertile soil will be ready for planting seeds.  Seeds of forgiveness, faith, trust and obedience."

It is in these turbulent, difficult times, when it seems the tips of the plow are aimed straight at your heart, that you may wonder if God is for you or against you.  He seems so confrontational, too intense, too different from the loving God you learned about in Sunday School.  Yet, let me assure you, He is for you!

Read this great excerpt  from a book by author Francis Frangipane:
"Do not withdrawal or be terrified at this new unveiling of the Son of God, for He is, in fact, fitting you for battle.  By the time you are fully trained, you will be a fearless warrior in His army. Yet we must be realistic about our current state:  most of us have been pampered and undisciplined.  We have not understood the day of warfare that looms before us.  Nor are we prepared for the final raging of Satan as his time shortens.  We have known the Lord as our Savior and our Shepherd.  These revelations of our beloved Master are no less true because a new aspect of His nature is revealed."
I believe with all my heart that not only is it possible to rise up from our painful circumstances, it is our calling and our responsibility.  We are called to be overcomers (1 John 5:4,5).  The Son of God will not lead us into battles we cannot win.  I am not saying that our circumstances will change - they may not, but what I am saying is that we can live above our circumstances, victoriously, joyfully, peacefully.

Even the apostle Peter wrote in 1 Peter 4:12, "Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you.  But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when His glory is revealed."

What is His glory that will be revealed?  It is Christ in YOU, the hope of glory!  For if you grab hold of the promises of God during the difficult times, the result will be a more Christ-like YOU - fitted and qualified for His service.

A prayer for you to pray:

Heavenly Father, I bow before you and receive the calling you have placed on my life - the calling to be an overcomer.  Empower me to live worthy of this calling.   For you say that everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that overcomes the world, my faith in You. (1 John 5:4,5)
Your Word says, If You are for me, who can be against me? (Romans 8:31).  And I know that in all things You are working for my good since I love you and have been called according to your purpose. (Romans 8:28)
Enable me by your Spirit to walk the high road above my circumstances - to respond in love and thankfulness in all things.  And in all these things, I am more than a conqueror and an overcomer because you love me and gave yourself for me. (Romans 8:37)
In the precious name of Jesus, Amen.
Grace and peace be yours in abundance today~

1 comment:

BARBIE said...

As one who lost her home of 16 years (to short sale) and is facing bankruptcy and my husband's very long unemployment, this was a beautiful reminder that God is for us, even despite our circumstances.